Emily May's Reviews > BZRK

BZRK by Michael  Grant

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, sci-fi, 2012, boring
Read from February 24 to March 04, 2012

I stayed up late to finish this and I really wish I hadn't bothered. In fact, I'm very surprised I managed it.

This book was a huge disappointment. This is because I had high expectations of Michael Grant after reading his imaginative Gone series, full of exciting characters with mutant powers that draws interesting comparisons between the struggling society created by the kids and our own world. Grant's books have never been perfect to me, I have often complained about the lack of a decent female character who could be strong, realistic and not annoy the hell out of me. That's what was so bad about Bzrk, because it did have this.

When I was first introduced to Sadie McLure, I was thinking "YEEESSSS!!!" inside my mind because the author had finally delivered a female lead that was intelligent, kickass and not simply the sidekick or girlfriend of the male self-sacrificing hero. She was all these things... but Sadie was also as flat and boring as any character I've read after a few chapters. The book does start well, not just with the introduction of the characters, but with the dramatic plane crash that opens up a bizarre science-fiction mystery which involves secret corporations that are trying to take over the world. Exciting stuff. Well, for a while, that is.

Boredom is my biggest complaint about this book. The sci-fi aspect is well thought-out and conceivable, perhaps this novel just really is too much of a boy book (whatever that really means), I like my sci-fi with something a bit more human to balance it out: easily relatable characters, humour, even romance... Bzrk failed to successfully deliver any of these. Unfortunately, I'll just stick to finishing the Gone series, though I'm not sure how that's going to cope with two more books on the way - sometimes authors just don't know when to quit (I'm looking at you, Richelle Mead).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read BZRK.

03/04/2012 page 135
35.0% "Good sci-fi story, strong female MC for once... but still can't make up my mind whether I'm liking this or not :/" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jo (new)

jo mo omg! do you write a review, every single day?

Emily May haha no, but I've been away from goodreads for a bit doing university work so I'm trying to catch up :)

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather I enjoy the Gone series as well, but stopped reading it after book 3. There is SOOOO much detail in all of them that I feel spent after reading each installment and I have no desire to work that hard until I know it will have an ending.

Emily May I know how you feel, but at the same time I've just invested so much energy in that series so far, I feel I have to finish it now :/

Kyle Just finished it. Agree with everything you said! Just so hard to believe that Grant could write something so . . . well, bad.

Emily May I know, BZRK was such a disappointment. Hopefully Fear will be better!

Rory Gallagher Thank God, I'm not the only one who almost died of boredom reading BZRK :-)

Jenny Sounds as though you wanted more emotion in order to fully engage with these characters. This book is very plot-driven, which is possibly why the characters aren't as engaging as they might be. I'm 100 pages in and while I'm enjoying the story so far, I really don't care what happens to the characters. They do come across a bit like set- pieces.

message 9: by Olliiebell (new) - added it

Olliiebell God, I have this book sitting on my too-read section of my book collection. To be totally honest the blurb did sound a tad cliché but since it was Michael Grant ( I loved the GONE series) and I had seen it often in stores I thought to give it a go. But if it's really that bad I'm not so sure about it now...

message 10: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I'm having a hard time reading this right now...uggh