Shanan's Reviews > 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf

8 by Michael Mullin

Feb 17, 2012

bookshelves: review-on-blog
Read in January, 2012

In A Nutshell:
I did not know what to expect when I won a copy of this short story--the concept did not initially draw me in. But I am glad I sat down and read it. I found the story to be one that will stick with me much longer than I expect--and for all the right reasons. It is well written and overall a lot of fun to read.

Review:
When I first started reading 8, I was drawn in by the almost lyrical, slightly rhyming, sing-songy verse. I almost started reading it to my daughter because it seemed so nice an innocent--but I quickly realized this short story was not written for kids (and I only mean that as an observation and not as a criticism).

8 is the story of the previously unknown dwarf from Snow White. Creepy is locked in the basement by the other dwarfs for being--well just a little too creepy. When Snow White arrives, the other dwarfs still do not let him out or even introduce him to her. But despite his captivity--he plays a critical role in helping Snow White get to her happily ever after.

After reading this short story I do not think I will look at the story of Snow White (and the seven--um I mean eight--dwarfs) the same way again. I feel like the next time I sit down with my daughter to watch the Disney version of the movie--I am going to be scouring the floorboards looking for signs of Creepy peeking up between the cracks.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 8.

Michael Mullin Thanks again for the great review. I appreciate it. Please consider checking out TaleSpins Books on Kickstarter this month (Sept). I'm trying to publish a printed compilation of 3 TaleSpins stories. Hope you like it and spread the word! :)
kck.st/R2IrwC