Amy's Reviews > The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Aug 13, 08

Read in August, 2008

I just finished The Omnivore's Dilemma the other day and really enjoyed it. My favorite parts of the book were when Pollan wrote about Joel Salatin's sustainable "grass" farm (where he raises beef cows, chickens, turkeys, eggs, rabbits, and a few plant crops). I love that Salatin describes himself as a Christian-Conservative-Environmentalist-Libertarian grass farmer, and I was so amazed at the symbiotic/synergistic relationships Salatin drew from his farm that was almost free from outside inputs and waste products.

I also enjoyed reading about Pollan's inward investigation and trial into vegetarianism....and the two different sides of hunting that he experienced. Near the beginning of the book, I wondered if he was a little biased against industrial agriculture (which is understandable when I learned of all the harm and costs associated with the system), but the last half of the book I really felt like he was an "honest" writer who was really trying to figure out his relationship with the earth and the food chains we're a part of.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Omnivore's Dilemma.

message 1: by Em (last edited Aug 13, 2008 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em So Amy. . .any changes to your diet? Want to buy a cow with me ?? :)

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Yes! I am having such a hard-time eating meat right now because I keep thinking of antibiotic-filled cows standing up to their ankles in manure, and of chickens who are cruelly treated. Do you want to go in on a chicken-farm with me, too, or just start eating lots of beans and lentils like I've been doing the last few weeks? ;-)

message 3: by Em (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em Aaron would probably prefer buying the chicken farm since he's not a big bean fan. :)

message 4: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise I'm starting to think seriously about chickens, at least for eggs . . . I have to admit I'm a little scared to read it though I'm intrigued - ignorance can be bliss.

message 5: by Rachael (new) - added it

Rachael No Ignorance is not bliss in this case! I took an animal law class last year and I was completely horrified about the cruel industry practices I have supported my entire life! If you want a movie that is akin to this book try Earthlings - I have only watched portions as I couldn't take the whole thing.

I am trying to find local farmers who treat their animals humanely and don't pump them full of bad stuff! :)

Good luck with the chicken farm - I would be in if I lived nearby! ;-)