Kevin Mann's Reviews > Vamplayers

Vamplayers by Rusty Fischer

M 50x66
Feb 17, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, female-lead, good-covers, modern, romance-involved, vampire, supernatural
Recommended to Kevin by: Amazon.com
Recommended for: Young readers, vampire fiends, supernatural connoisseurs
Read on February 17, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I got Vamplayers for free, off the kindle website. I had low expectations of this book because it was a free book, and was thoroughly surprised to find that my expectations were beyond exceeded. I am not saying the series doesn’t have its flaws; such as a very simplistic writing style, a couple of shallow characters, and one extremely obvious, to me, plot twist, are my only gripes though. The story is written in the first person POV, and since it is a YA-Fantasy title, I didn’t expect to be challenged by the writing, but I think it should be aimed towards younger demographics.

The main character could have used a little more back story, and development, but other than that she is a heroine that doesn’t need to be saved by a male counterpart. She knows when, and how, to throw down when it comes time to do so.

There is a romance in this book, but it doesn’t dominate it like it does in most YA books these days. I liked that, and found it a refreshing change of pace from what I have been reading as of late. I am sure that many fans of the YA, and fantasy genres will find this book entertaining, as well as people just getting started in these types of books.

The organization of the vampire world in this book was also pretty fascinating. You have your different types of vampires: the vamplayers; exactly what it sounds like, vampire/player mixed into 1, and their female counterparts being vampresses, scavengers; wanderers, living off beasts and human both, sisters; the girls that find the vamplayers and try to stop them from starting infestations, saviors; the kick ass assassins that come in with swift precision to stop infestations once they have begun, ancients; who have been around since the beginning of time, and royals; pretty much the descendants of the ancients, only bred and born, not turned into the vampire life.

I would suggest this book to young audiences, fantasy, people who enjoy stories about vampires, and female heroines. This book is short, and could have used a little more depth, but for the audience it was intended, I think it hit the nail right on the head.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vamplayers.