Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Caught in Crystal: A Lyra Novel

Feb 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: from-netgalley, medieval-times
Read from February 17 to 24, 2012

Kayl is living s simple life in her community, running an inn and caring for her two children. Until one day she gets an enigmatic guest, who tells Kayl that she needs her help. Kayl is forced to revisit a painful past she was sure she had left behind 15 years ago.

As Kayl learns the truth about why the woman is there, she must decide whether she wants to bring her children along on a dangerous expedition, the same she took so long ago. But if she does undertake this journey, perhaps she will be able to unravel the events that truly happened on that first fateful journey.

It took me a little while to get into and finish this book. Let me first say that the author has done a fantastic job creating the fantasy world of Lyra. It is alive with creative characters, rich folklore, and a magical atmosphere. I really enjoyed getting to know all the aspects of Lyra.

Kayl is likable enough as a main character. I liked that she was such a great and attentive mother. I also liked the fact that she was actually a powerful warrior in her past, and even after the passage of many years she was able to fall back into that position without much trouble.

The reason I gave this book 3 stars is that I felt it took way too long for any significant events to happen. I enjoy a good "journey" book, but the journey is always much better when obstacles come up along the way. There was much talking in this book, but not a lot of action. Everything happened within the last 10 percent of the book.

I did like the ending, but it just took such a long and roundabout way to get there. I would be interested in someday reading the rest of the Lyra books, because as I said, I really did enjoy the world the story was set in. Perhaps the other book have a bit more action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caught in Crystal.