Brigham's Reviews > What's It All About

What's It All About by Michael Caine

Jul 22, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in July, 2008

I wanted something light and fast to listen to over the weekend. When I saw that this was read by Michael Caine himself, I couldn't resist. Caine has always been one of my most admired actors and to have a few hours where he speaks softly in that wizened yet working class voice would be a treat, no matter what he said.

The content of this book is like any autobiography, rise from poverty, spoils of success, introspective middle-years etc etc. I usually don't like autobiographies, especially read while the person is still alive. However, Caine reads this one as if he's in a pub sharing stories. He interjects a few funny lines about while recording the book he's getting hungry and talks in a casual tone that makes the audience feel like they're sharing a pint and having a conversation with him.

While the book was written back in the mid-nineties, it's a shame to miss out on the past decade, arguably Caine's best years as an actor. Still, of all of the actors out there, I can't think of one I'd rather listen to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's It All About.