Sarah Wallace's Reviews > The Secret Prince

The Secret Prince by Violet Haberdasher

Feb 17, 2012

Read from February 17 to 18, 2012

A very good sequel to a very good book! I really liked Ms. Haberdasher's debut novel and was very excited to get my hands on this sequel and it didn't disappoint. More fun, exciting, and page-turning adventures and misadventures for Henry and his friends at Knightley Academy. I liked the way the ending turned out as well. I can't wait for the next installment!

Now, I just want to add my two cents in to the whole Harry Potter comparison nonsense. The Harry Potter series happens to fit very neatly into a sub-genre of literature: school story (you can look it up on Wikipedia; I'm not making this up). School stories usually take place at a boarding school and cover all of the friendships, the bullies, the romances, and rules (and breaking thereof) that the protagonist encounters. Yes, Harry Potter was a unique series that took this genre into the fantastic, bringing magic into the equation. But, so too does Violet Haberdasher maker her own unique mark on the genre by creating a world where chivalry hasn't died and knights still abound in everyday society. It's a very cool concept and I think she carries it out well. I know I won't be able to stop the comparisons but it really is silly to compare the two. It's like comparing Sherlock Holmes to Hercule Poirot. Obviously there will be similarities and there will be differences. That's what genres are for!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Prince.

02/17/2012 page 240