Lix Hewett's Reviews > The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: high-school
Read in February, 2012

Theoretically, on certain levels I'd give this four stars, but in terms of enjoyment it was, alas, just three. There was a little too much cattiness and a few too many unnecessarily clarifications and it didn't suck me into the universe, even if I seemingly couldn't stop reading. There were a few good moments of awareness -- and self-awareness -- but the book didn't quite live up to them. I understand that Ruby's young and still realizing things but the whole thing with Kim just left a sour taste in my mouth, even if the book fixed a couple of things that had bothered me (Ruby giving up the fishnets, the implication that Kim's behavior towards Ruby was right).

Things I did like: Meghan, Noel, Angelo, the fact that Ruby came out of the book without a boyfriend, and Mr. Wallace. My favorite thing about this book was hands down the therapy bits and how it sets up Ruby as this person who's passive in the same way I'm passive, and then later on in the book there's a couple of scenes where she asserts herself and is honest and it's wonderful. I'm actually looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boyfriend List.