Robert D. Cornwall's Reviews > Jesus Have I Loved, But Paul?: A Narrative Approach to the Problem of Pauline Christianity

Jesus Have I Loved, But Paul? by J.R. Daniel Kirk

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: bible, religion, social-justice, spirituality, theology
Read from February 17 to March 11, 2012

Many times Christians choose between Jesus and Paul, with many liberals choosing Jesus over the more regressive Paul. Some have tried to rehabilitate Paul by distinguishing between the truly Pauline and the deutero-Pauline letters.

Daniel Kirk doesn't so much try to rehabilitate Paul as connect his story with that of Jesus. Contexts are different,but they're largely on the same page. Kirk uses the idea of narrative to understand Paul, seeing Paul attempting to write the Gentiles into the story of God's people through their adherence to the person of Jesus.

As he does this, he takes us into an exploration of issues facing the church today including women, social justice, and sexuality. His chapter on homosexuality won't satisfy many traditionalists nor many progressives, but he offers a provocative vision for full inclusion of gays and lesbians into the life of the church.

Kirk is an evangelical, teaching at my alma mater. His conversation partners are generally the more moderate evangelicals such as Tom Wright, Richard Hays, and Scot McKnight. It's a good book, well worth reading!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Have I Loved, But Paul?.

03/10/2012 page 176