Mandy J. J.'s Reviews > When I Am Afraid: A Step-By-Step Guide Away from Fear and Anxiety

When I Am Afraid by Edward T. Welch

1198438
Apr 05, 13

bookshelves: i-own, counseling
Read in April, 2013

The Overview

When I Am Afraid is the companion study guide to the book Running Scared also by Ed Welch. In 7 well organized lessons it helps you apply what you've learned reading the book or stands alone as a comprehensive study of fear.

The Readability

It is very easy to use, especially as an individual study, and is a good blend of going deep and being easy to grasp. Some chapters are longer than others, but on average you could work through one in 30 minutes.

The Highlights

The questions that are asked in this study was the number one highlight for me. They are not "feely" questions but rather though-provoking questions that make you apply what you have and are learning. Another highlight is that you don't have to use it with the book to benefit from this study - it stands alone very well.

The Downside

There are a few theological points that I personally don't agree with, but the format of this guide allowed me to still learn a lot without compromising my personal beliefs on what "the Kingdom of God" means today. While it can be used for group study, it didn't flow as well as I had hoped it would. It involved a lot of reading in the group time. You could read through the chapter before hand, but then there wasn't really that much to work through. If you're looking for a short time slot to fill, this would be a great option. But for those looking for a study longer than an hour time allotment, this isn't the best option.

The Recommendation

I highly recommend this for personal study and would recommend for group use depending on the setting. For those who don't have time to read a thick book on the topic of fear this presents a great option for personal growth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Am Afraid.