L12_Robyn's Reviews > King Hugo's Huge Ego

King Hugo's Huge Ego by Chris Van Dusen

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read from February 17 to 20, 2012

King Hugo’s Huge Ego by Chris Van Dusen is about a king with an ego too big for his head. He enjoys talking to his people about how great he is and just why his people should like him. This continues until he meets a young lady named Tessa. Tessa casts a spell on King Hugo that is quite funny. Every time he showed his ego by bragging or carrying on about himself, his head would grow. This continues until his head was just huge! But of course in every story where there is a lesson to be learned, the story ends nicely and everyone lives happily ever after.
This story would be appropriate for preschool through first grade. It would be a great addition to lessons on classroom kindness and behavior or even school-wide PBIS. The illustrations are very eye catching to the young reader with great attention to detail. The young reader will find the pictures very funny at times!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Hugo's Huge Ego.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by L12_sarah (new)

L12_sarah Robyn, as soon as I saw you upload this title, I knew I had to read your review on it! I love the idea of introducing the concept of "ego" to young children because our society seems to put so much stress on self-esteem these days, to the point where some students walk around with a Hugo-sized head on their shoulders and have no idea why that's a problem. Beyond being used on a classroom-wide level, I like the idea of using this book as a resource whenever a child seems to be showing signs of a big ego. When I was little my mom used to say I got "the gimmies" at the store, and then we'd come home and read the book "The Berenstein Bears Get the Gimmies" as a reinforcer. I could see King Hugo's Huge Ego being used in a similar way!

L12_luisespinoza Espinoza Good review Robyn. I too, like the idea of starting to discuss this subject with the little ones (preschoolers); I definitely see some of my preschoolers having a hard time understanding that having an ego is not necessarily a good thing. It sounds like this book addresses this issue in a way that they can understand while entertaining them at the same time.

L12_Robyn Yes, I too agree that sharing this book with young children is great. The illustrations are really funny and it is obvious that noone likes the king.