Between the Covers's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

Feb 17, 2012

bookshelves: ya-romance, young-adult, young-adult-contemporary
Read in January, 2012

REVIEWED by Chris for Between the Covers blog:

Reviewing a book that is basically on every blogger’s TBR pile can be a bit intimidating. Especially when it’s a John Green book. I have read most of John’s books and to be truthful the main reason I pre-ordered The Fault in Our Stars (TFiOS) was that every pre-order would be a signed edition. I have to say that while I was not fully a Nerd Fighter (the pop culture name John Green fans are known by) before reading TFiOS, you can rest assured that after having read it, I am convinced of the awesomeness that is John Green.

Hazel has Stage IV thyroid cancer which she has been living with, and preparing to die from, since the age of 12. However, at the age of 14 the tumors had miraculously shrunk, extending her life. Now 16-years-old, Hazel considers herself a grenade: she sees her life as a ticking bomb which will eventually detonate and hurt the ones she loves. Hazel is distant and depressed, so her mother forces her to attend a cancer support group for teens. That is where Hazel meets Augustus. Gus is a handsome and confident cancer survivor who lost one of his legs to his battle with the disease. Hazel and Gus instantly connect, but Hazel struggles to let herself get close.

So, this novel is going to be a little harder to review than most. I do not want to give anything away for those of you have not read it yet. (By the way, what are you waiting for?!?) John is known for is amazing contemporary writing style and TFiOS is no exception. TFiOS takes the subject of cancer and shows the plethora of emotions inside a person living with it - emotions which range from funny, to sad, to angry. He takes a hard hitting subject and softens it a bit with a quirkiness that is amazing.

The characters in TFiOS were absolutely fantastically written. Hazel is nothing like your typical female protagonist: she is smart, witty and down to earth. She was a breath of fresh air. I have never connected or understood a female character better than Hazel; I wanted to know her in real life. The supporting characters were also amazing, and her mother was perfectly written. I felt like he nailed the mother of a child with stage IV cancer dead on: the doting mom who is kind of suffocating, but has these layers that you don’t fully see because she isn’t ready to show you.

The relationship aspect of this book was spot on for me, as well. I loved that Hazel wasn’t instantly madly in love with Gus. It was a slow process of growing feelings. I get annoyed when a person looks at a love interest and instantly has this undying love and longing. This felt real, I could see the inner cogs turn inside her head and watched her come to the realization that there was something more.

TFiOS is a fantastic book; it may even be a contender in my favorites of 2012. I laughed, I cried (oh yes, this book will tug on your heart strings more than once). It had some twists that I didn’t see coming right away. John defiantly strayed from what I originally envisioned from the first chapters, but most importantly it was balanced. The heaviness and the quirkiness were in check and made this book awesome. If you have yet to pick up this amazing book, go do it. Seriously what are you waiting for?!? You will not regret it.

Rating: 5 stars