Jenn's Reviews > Fabulous Feasts: Medieval Cookery and Ceremony

Jul 25, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: culinary
Read in January, 1986

This review covers the 1976 Paperback. So unless the content has been updated, the score still stands.

I cook, a lot. I am a historical interpreter and a 15th century re-enactor, and I love the taste of really good food. For those who don't care if this book is historically accurate or not, then I think you've missed the point of owning a "medieval cookbook". If you like odd mixes of spices and experimentation, then have at it. For me, I'll pass having sampled several of these recipes that I found totally unpalatable.

So that you don't think it's all wine vinegar, I will offer up a few excellent titles for your consideration. If you're interested in ceremony and how things are done at the table regarding manners and how to serve the high table, read the following:

The Babees Boke of Manners
The Boke of Keruynge: The Book of Carving (Wynkyn de Worde)

If you want real medieval cookbooks with the documentation to back up the recipes contained between the covers, then I'd like to suggest the following cook books:

Pleyn Delit, an excellent beginners book (1996)
The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy (2000)
Early French Cookery (2002)

There are others, but these are the three that I use often, and most new comers to the world of medieval cookery will discover that many of the recipes are very pleasing to the modern palate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fabulous Feasts.