Velma's Reviews > The Artificial Man

The Artificial Man by Leslie Purnell Davies

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi, 2012-reads
Read on February 23, 2012 — I own a copy

In The Artificial Man", Davies took an interesting trope (how a flawed man can be artificially "evolved" into the Übermensch), set it 50 years into his future (2016, only 4 years from this reader's vantage), and wrote a page-turner that ended in disappointment.

Reading more as a mystery than science fiction, ultimately I thought Davies waited too long to change the perspective of the narrative from protagonist Fraser/Arnold to the supporting cast for the reader to comfortably switch their allegiance; I just didn't know Karen & Gallea long enough to care about them, to say nothing of how ridiculous their instant googly-eyed romance was.

The Artificial Man is reminiscent of my most recent read, Zelazny's Today We Choose Faces, wherein an anachronistic/amnesiac warrior-"hero" is thrust through time to become a better copy of himself; Zelazny's version was more subtly wrought, albeit even less successful in a broader sense. Davies' treatment of this subject has even compared to Philip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint, which I greatly preferred, with each rendering his own iteration of human consciousness evolution. I probably won't pursue more of Davies' work; I'd rather just read PKD.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Artificial Man.

02/23/2012 page 111