Victoria Caplinger's Reviews > Darling Jim

Darling Jim by Christian Mørk

Feb 17, 12

it was ok
Read in February, 2012

Okay, this book was completely silly. It started off on a very promising note – two young women found dead in their aunt’s house, having apparently been kept captive (handcuffed, locked up, & chained) for an extended period, yet having managed to kill their aunt at the same time as they broke their bonds, and were killed themselves. Pure carnage – what’s not to like, right?

But then it just got completely silly – the postal worker finding the diary of one of the dead sisters that got mailed (how, exactly?) And then, her twin sister’s diary picked up just where hers left off, which the obsessed postal worker just happens to find in the possession of a sixth-grade girl who was a former student of the other sister. I’m unclear on how the diaries got in the post at all, and totally didn’t understand the cult-like following that sprang up around Jim, either (based on the fact that he travels from pub to pub and tells folk tales? To the point that years after his murder teenage girls still hang around his grave?) GAR!! And then, I totally missed the point of the whole twin brother thing. GAR!! I missed lots of other stuff as well, but don’t have the patience to list it all out.

I like gothic-type suspense novels, and know that sometimes you have to be willing to stretch your credulity a little, but this was just too much for me.

I listened to it on audio, which was alright (I doubt I would have finished otherwise). The Irish accent in the narration was nice although apart from that I didn’t see any effort to distinguish characters - the three sisters all sounded completely identical.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darling Jim.