Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)'s Reviews > Inbetween

Inbetween by Tara A. Fuller

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012, blog-tour, reapers, netgalley, angels, ghosts-revenants-reincarnation
Read from July 30 to August 02, 2012

Stop by The Starry-Eyed Revue on 8/24 for an excerpt as part of the Inbetween Blog Tour!

I found Inbetween to be cute and clever, and although it wasn't completely original (what is these days, right?), it was still a very fun read. It was engrossing to the point that I'd find myself skimming larger passages to read ahead and find out what happened, only to have to go back and re-read those sections to ensure I hadn't missed anything. I love when a book has me in its clutches like that, but I also hate it because it feels like I have to read everything twice.

Inbetween is set in our world but also in a location parallel to our world, aptly named the Inbetween, as it is that gray area between Heaven and Hell. It is the place where souls are sent if they haven't quite earned their spot in Heaven or Hell, though if they are truly exceptional souls, they may be given the opportunity to return to the land of the living to really prove their worth.

This novel is told as a dual narrative, from the perspectives of Emma and Finn. They may not have known each other in this lifetime, but each feels a deep connection to the other after a chance encounter that leaves Emma without her father and reminds Finn of a painful loss he suffered some fifteen years earlier. As a reaper, Finn takes some serious risks to ensure Emma's safety once he realizes who she is. And Emma is in danger quite often, which leads to a lot of trouble for Finn, since he's not supposed to interfere in human affairs or "go corporeal" because his boss can sense it and will require a full report.

Emma is a sneaky little minx, digging deep to discover things about Finn that he won't divulge himself. Yet, she never quite figured out what I had deduced nearly from the onset of the novel. I'm not going to sugar-coat it…this novel was a tad predictable, but that only kept the first half of the novel from being as enjoyable as it could have been. Once the action -- aka attempts on Emma's life -- really got going, the book became a bit more suspenseful and engaging.

The romance was sweet and cuddly but in the way a sad puppy at the pound is because there can't be a future for these two. Emma is of the living, and well, Finn is most definitely not. He's a reaper, meant not to develop feelings for a human but instead to send them on to the Inbetween to await their fates. But he can't help himself. His reaper friends -- Easton of Hell's domain and Anaya of Heaven's -- both try to convince him his intentions are fool-hardy, that he's wasting his time and causing trouble for all of them, but he's a lost cause. He'd try anything, do anything to be with Emma. I kind of have to wonder if this guy has ANY scruples after some of the things he's done for her or even contemplated so that he can be close to her.

Although this book is focused on the reapers and a rather forbidden romance, it has a little bit of everything in there, just to keep you on your toes: possible body-snatching, Ouija boards, psychotic ghosts, overbearing mothers…you name it. Oh, and a hot, if somewhat pervy, best friend who remains strictly in Emma's friend zone. So, no love triangle…well, not in the most literal sense, anyway, so yay! Wait, wait, wait. I just remembered there's no cliffhanger either -- though I did feel that the ending was a little too perfect, a little too easy. I guess this novel doesn't have everything then, but in this case, that's not a bad thing. All in all, Inbetween is a great start to a new series that I definitely plan to continue.

Thanks to Entangled Publishing for providing a copy for review!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inbetween.

07/30/2012 page 96
08/01/2012 page 197
49.0% "Don't fear the reaper...just the angry soul he pissed off. :P"
show 1 hidden update…

Heather Hi Jen,

We are trying to get Tara's book, Inbetween, into the top 100 on Amazon. We need at least 30 reviews on Amazon and have 8 right now. If you could post your review love when you post on The Starry-Eyed Revue as well, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The link to her book is http://www.amazon.com/Inbetween-Kisse....

Thanks so much for all that you do!

~ Heather Riccio, Senior Publicist

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Heather -- I just posted my review to both Amazon & B&N. Thanks for having me on the tour!

Heather Thanks so much and you're very welcome! :D

♥Rachel♥ I things definitely picked up in the second half too, Jen. Great review. :)