Sam's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon is an addictive book that you will adore from the first page! You think you know mermaids? Well, welcome to the world of the Syrena, and be prepared to fall in love with what it has in store for you.

The book starts with a bump. No, I'm being serious: a bump. Poor clumsy Emma accidentally trips and falls against the most beautiful boy she has ever seen. What she doesn't know is that the boy is not just 'Galen' he is the prince of the Syrena, and he has been sent to land to seek out a girl who can apparently speak to fish. Galen has a hunch that it may be Emma, but it takes a dangerous encounter with a shark for Galen to be sure that Emma is the one he's been searching for. Emma has no idea why a mysterious hot boy has suddenly showed an interest in her and she couldn't care less, but when he blasts a load of rubbish about her heritage, she can't help but feel intrigued. Soon, she is falling for a guy who may not be her's for much longer...

I don't even know where to start! The way I described the book makes it sound like another version of Twilight! But, I assure you, it isn't. Of Poseidon is filled with entertaining and intriguing characters that I'm sure you will adore, humor and a wonderful romance that will sweep you off your feet. I had such high expectations for this book, and it did not fail to meet and exceed it. I can't name one thing I didn't like about it. Oh wait, there is one thing. I thought that the book could have been a bit longer. It ended right where the story was spicing up! Why?!?! Now all readers are going to have to wait for months to read how the story advances. *Cries*

What I really enjoyed about Of Poseidon is that the story is told from both Emma and Galen's point of view. Not only did this let us learn more about Galen's feelings towards Emma, but it also gave us a glimpse into his world of the Syrena; how it works, what it's like, etc. Anyways, back to Galen. He was perfect. *Swoon* Even though he is not human and has probably lived beneath the sea for most of his life, he has a surprising sense of humor that will make you laugh endlessly. I could not get enough of his jokes and the way he would tease Emma. Their relationship was a real pleasure to read. It's cute and it's extremely entertaining. At first, they stood on shaky ground and didn't get on much but when secrets are shared and new friendships are made, them two seemed to slip into place.

Apart from out two gorgeous main characters, I also enjoyed the two supporting characters: Toraf and Rayna, who, in the Syrena world, are 'mated'. Toraf is Galen's best friend, who is head over heals for Rayna, Galen's sister, but Rayna seems to do everything in her power to push him away. She is a feisty girl who just want a bit of attention. As for Toraf, I loved him! He is a great guy/Syrena who I cheered on throughout the whole book. If you want to read about an entertaining couple, check out Rayna and Toraf as they stumble through their complicated relationship.

Overall, Of Poseidon is a really unique and intriguing book that I would recommend to all those YA paranormal romance lovers out there who want something new and exciting. I want the sequel, Of Triton, in my arms as soon as possible!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

12/31/2012 page 0
0.0% "WOOOOOOOOOOOO! It came in the post today"
05/15/2013 marked as: read