Scurra's Reviews > The Athenian Murders

The Athenian Murders by José Carlos Somoza

Jul 22, 08

bookshelves: mystery
Read in June, 2003

Like The Club Dumas, this book is not what it appears to be. To say more would spoil one of the most ingenious literary constructs I've had the pleasure of reading: suffice it to say that it's one of those books that you immediately want to start again when you get to the astonishing ending, just to see if the author cheated at any point. Which he never does, and in fact this makes the second reading almost more pleasurable than the first.

Yes at heart it is a murder mystery, and if you don't like the genre then this will probably annoy you more than usual (since it is also a part of the "historical murder" subgenre) but if you can look beyond that, you will find something that takes a joy in crossing borders: this is most definitely literary fiction that makes demands of the reader.

About the only thing I would note is that I read this in an English translation, which, for a book with a major plotline about translation, added a whole extra layer of appreciation to the story...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Athenian Murders.