Josie's Reviews > Summers at Castle Auburn

Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn

Feb 19, 10

bookshelves: absolute-favourites, young-adult, fantasy, books-i-own
Read from February 18 to 19, 2010, read count: 2

I can't believe I left this on my bookshelf for so long before I read it! I loved this book, to the extent that I had to ban myself from reading it on the bus to and from university because it would have me grinning foolishly for the entire ride, and giggling quietly up my sleeve (much to the apprehension of my fellow passengers). Admittedly the main character, Corie, was a little annoying at the beginning, when she was 14, but she quickly improves, and so does the story.
Romance, court intrigue, poison, enslaved ethereal beings...a great mix, and I would suggest that if you loved Sherwood Smith's Duel duet, you'll enjoy this too.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summers at Castle Auburn.

Holly This was the first Sharon Shinn book I ever read! I lovd it too.

Josie My first as well - are her others as good?!

Holly Oh yes, for sure.

The Archangel books are terrific. The others kind of vary (I've rated almost all of them in my profile I think). And her YA trilogy (The Truth Teller's Tale or something like that is one of them) is really good too, though for a younger level I think.

Bonnie This is one of my favorite books! I personally think it's Shinn's best (at least my favorite by her).

Shinn can be a bit hit or miss, I agree with Holly that her YA trilogy and her Archangel books are really good (though the only Archangel book I truly love is the first one; the others vary in quality). Some of her short stories are also very good (though some of them aren't...).

Her newest short story collection (Quatrain) has a story focusing on Corie's daughter. Not a bad story, but couldn't live up to the awesomeness that is Summers at Castle Auburn!