Tiffany's Reviews > Defending Jacob

May 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012, would-not-read-again
Recommended to Tiffany by: Books on the Nightstand
Read from May 20 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I had heard about Defending Jacob quite a bit since it's on many bestseller lists, but was prompted to read it after it was recommended on the Books on the Nightstand podcast. I don't normally read legal thrillers, but this has a lot of positive reviews as well as the promise of a twist/surprise ending (which I'm a sucker for). I feel somewhat disappointed.

It's definitely a suspenseful read--the story moves along at a fast pace and there were moments when I really couldn't figure out whether Jacob was innocent or not. About halfway through the book, though, I pretty much made up my mind. (view spoiler)

The character development is lacking, in my opinion. Andy (Jacob's father and the narrator) is nicely fleshed out, but Laurie (Jacob's mother and Andy's wife) remains somewhat enigmatic. (view spoiler)

Anyway, it's an enjoyable enough read, but for me, I needed more from the ending and I had way too many unanswered questions by the time I turned the final page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.

05/20/2012 page 268

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Linda Hensens I agree with your assessment completely! I read this book for the same reasons as you did, and I was seriously disappointed.