Kara's Reviews > The Girl in the Park

The Girl in the Park by Mariah Fredericks

Feb 17, 12

Read on February 17, 2012

Excellent, gripping, and compelling. This is definitely an author to watch for. I wasn't sure how interested I would be in it at first - another story about super rich girls at a Manhattan prep school and suddenly a murder happens? I read the back of the book and the description though, of someone this protagonist knew is compelling. It made me, as a person that lived through a classmate's mysterious death, also want to understand how the story and murderer would be found.

The author's prose is simple and clear. It's down to earth and perhaps not overly dignified, it presents exactly how teenagers talk and speak to each other in day to day lives. It has drugs and alcohol references but again, it is in many teenagers' lives as is partying in that culture. There is language as well, but it is obviously geared towards mature YA readers.

This, for me, was a one sitting read. I had to know what was next. I wasn't sure who would be the prime suspect and I ABSOLUTELY loved Rain as the main character. She was fascinating, had personality, and she had a way of understanding teenage emotions and conflicts better than most characters in YA novels today. I felt like her perspectives were accurate and the feelings well drawn out.

The character of rain is insecure and acts as any teenage girl might be in this situation; afraid, conflicted because the victim named Wendy was a girl that she had at one time associated with, and determined to preserve her own dignity by speaking out about the murder and finding out/discovering who did it. It's a web of intrigue in the form of a prep school and it gives you a look at how judgmental a lot of teens are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Park.