Margot's Reviews > Escape

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

May 19, 13

bookshelves: memoir, religion, audio-books, 2013
Read from May 07 to 18, 2013

This is the second memoir about an escapee of the FLDS (the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, essentially a polygamist, mormon cult) that I've read. (The first one was Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs. And it was interesting having a deeper understanding of the FLDS and some of the people in it than this memoir actually provides.

Escape recounts the dis-functionality and abuse Carolyn Jessop and her children experienced over seventeen years as one of five wives to one of the most powerful men in the FLDS, as well as the downward spiral of the FLDS once Warren Jeffs came into power--the thing that finally made her realize her need to escape.

It was refreshing to hear the tale of a strong, intelligent woman who could really serve as a role-model for others. So many women in the FLDS seem to fall into the trap of in-fighting among their sister wives and generally making life even more miserable for each other than it already is, rather than banding together for support and to try to improve the situation. Carolyn fought hard to get a college education, to develop desirable skills for employment, and to not get drawn in to the dramas between the other wives in her household. (Although, of course, this is her memoir, so who knows what she left out.)

I actually would have liked to see more about the ever-changing relationships between the five wives. Instead, one chapter Carolyn would be allies and friends with one of them. And the next, they would be mortal enemies with only a, "at that time, we were no longer getting along." But why? What happened? The relationships among the wives were actually one of the most interesting parts, and I would have loved for that to get more time in the spotlight.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape.

05/09/2013 marked as: currently-reading