Lars's Reviews > The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: history, middle-east
Read in February, 2012

I bought this book many years ago when I first started reading non fiction literature. I started and stopped twice... Its sheer size and the density of information daunted me. But third time's a charm and I finally read this staggering work and am better for it.
In "The Great War For Civilisation" Robert Fisk, a British foreign correspondent, gives an overview of the many conflicts in the Middle East in the past 3 or 4 decades. This isn't a history book per sé. Fisk has condensed 30 years of journalism, research and experience in this mammoth, 1200+ pages of a book. Fisk focusses on the human toll, the civilian victims of these conflicts but also analyzes the political machinations.
If there's a recurring theme, it's that the people living in the Middle East have for decades been victims of the cruelty of dictators, corrupt regimes and now violent occupations by foreign armies. And that during the political powerstruggles of the past 50 years the western world has profitted while the people of the Middle East have lost everything.
Fisk's insightful, thoroughly researched and often angry analysis make this a riveting read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great War for Civilisation.