Kirsten's Reviews > New Moon

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

Feb 25, 09

Read in July, 2008

About 100 pages into this book I thought I might like to strangle Bella. Or Stephenie Meyer. I had a fear that the entire book was going to be devoted to Bella's heartbreak and the condition of the (figurative) hole in her chest. Blah, blah, sad. Blah, blah, pining. Blah, blah, heartbreak. It all just got a little boring, especially since I thought it was fairly obvious that Edward was neither truthful in his farewell speech nor gone forever. Then I thought, "You know, this is a book meant for *teenagers*. I could either let up on the derision or read a book meant for real, actual adults if I don't like this one." Around the time I decided to cut the main character a break and just let her be sad, things got more interesting. Jacob and the Quileute community become much more important in the 2nd book of this series in a somewhat predictable but fascinating way.

I didn't like the pacing of this book as much as the 1st...things seemed to drag for the first 3/4 of the book and then suddenly everyone's in Italy, making life-altering decisions that take only a few pages, and then we're back in Forks for the conclusion.

Also, I know the main relationship between Edward and Bella needs to advance, change and grow, but the bargain Edward proposes at the end of this novel, when juxtaposed with how their relationship emerged in Twilight just strikes me as ridiculous. I do, however, continue to be fascinated by Bella's apparent readiness and willingness to give up her humanity-- even putting it to a vote. Her attitude about how that will affect her family-- "Well, it's going to happen sometime, so why not sooner rather than later?" is dismaying and mystifying. I think Meyer is at her best when she's taking typical adolescent struggles (like becoming independent from one's parents) and layering supernatural motifs on top of them.

I'm anxious to read the 3rd and 4th books, and I think I'll be a little sad to leave Forks permanently after "Breaking Dawn".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Moon.