Joel Simon's Reviews > Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction, children
Recommended to Joel by: Josephine Simon
Read in November, 2011

An exciting early science fiction book by one of the all time great authors, Jules Verne. The interplay between the two main characters, Professor Lindenbrook and his nephew Axel is the centerpiece of what makes this book an excellent read. The professor is fanatically driven in his pursuit of science and discovery, while Axel is very bright, but timid and easily intimidated. Yet once they venture off together, you begin to realize that neither of them could succeed without the other.

One of the things that I learned recently, which in my view makes Jules Verne a most remarkable writer, is that he writes with incredible detail about places he never visited. Apparently, he was a voracious reader and learned everything he knew about places outside his beloved France only from reading about them. But his writing style would lead you to believe he breathed the air and walked the very streets about which he writes, all across Europe and elsewhere.

I am looking forward to reading other Jules Verne books. And I am pleased that my children really enjoy him as an author so that we can talk about his adventure stories together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the Centre of the Earth.