Jac (For Love and Books)'s Reviews > The Fine Art of Truth or Dare

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read from February 17 to 22, 2012

3.5 rounded up

After my rant on blurbs I have to admit I grabbed this book (on release day) because of the blurb: "Pretty in Pink meets Anna and the French Kiss"!!! Now, I am a proper child of the 80's and adore all things John Hughes. And Anna? Well, she is one of my top 5 all-time favorites. So this is a pretty big claim to attempt to live up to.

Now that we have that out of the way... I liked Ella. A lot. And I totally understood the demons that held her back. I mean, high school is hard enough without having huge scars AND being the scholarship kid at an uber ritzy private school. But to me, it was just like. I didn't adore her. I found her obsession with Edward Willing a bit odd. (I did however, love that her best friend, Frankie, didn't get her obsession either.) I suppose Ella herself was the Pretty in Pink aspect, but she's no Molly Ringwald.

Alex was great, but again? Definitely not Etienne St Clair. (But then again? Is anyone? NO!) he was a bit of a jerk at points, but totally redeemed himself in a believable way.

The rest of the characters? All great! I loved Fiorella's family! They were everything g I envision a large Itaian family to be, and Melissa Jensen does a great job of writing vivid, quirky characters! And the actual game of Truth or Dare? I loved these bits almost as much as I loved Frankie himself! I wish there had been more!

As I mentioned above? My only real complaint with this book was the bizarre obsession with a long dead, little known artist. Of course, this dislike may be fueled by the fact that Ella actually carries on conversations with this dead artist/socialite. I must admit, towards the end I found myself skimming the Edward Willing bits.

in the end, the Fine Art of Truth or Dare is a great contemporary read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys Pretty in Pink!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fine Art of Truth or Dare.

02/17/2012
2.0% "Of course, I start a great new book and my kid wants to play with my ereader... GRR!"