Brooke Cheyenne's Reviews > Inherit the Wind

Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence

Mar 06, 12

Recommended for: no one
Read from February 17 to March 06, 2012

I had to read this book for school. And let me start off by saying that it was terrible. I hated this book so much, that I have officially deemed it the worst book I was ever forced into by my education.

The book is a huge debate between evolution and creation and follows a court case through a bible thumping community as a man who taught Darwinism in his classroom is charged with committing a crime against God and the town of 'Hillsboro'.

I hated the book mostly for its format. It was so hard to focus on and seeing the description of everyone's actions through brackets and italics was terribly annoying not to mention the fact that the vocabulary was unnecessary and way too rich, over describing the scenes as if they were designed by shakespeare. Characters flipped in and out of scene with only one line each. At the beginning, once scene had about 20 different characters each with one small thing to say which I found greatly annoying as I tried to imagine the physical profile of each character.

The book was boring, outdated and plain ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone other than a lawyer in his 200's or a retired priest about to enter the light. I had friends who adored this book and I can't see why. I am only giving it 2 stars because the main characters were described well and I found a slight connection with the defense lawyer in the book, Mr. Drummond.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inherit the Wind.