Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)'s Reviews > The Forever Girl

The Forever Girl by Rebecca  Hamilton

Dec 02, 2013

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Paranorman romance fans, romance fans, hot leading character fans
Read from February 25 to 27, 2012 , read count: 1

The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

So let me preface this review by saying that this ebook was sent to me by the author and I will be sending her this review, which I assume she will read (::waves:: Hi Rebecca!) so I am rather nervous. I apologize in advance if this one turns out a little more awkward than most. Here we go!

I was a little excited to start this not only because it sounded interesting, but also because it would be the very first novel I read on Luna (my kindle). Yes, I know, I am a dork, but still. It is written in first person, which is always a plus for me. Once I started reading, I couldn’t stop, staying up several hours later than I should have knowing I was going to have to get up at 7 the next morning to get to work.

This novel centers around a girl named Sophia who has some type of supernatural condition that causes a constant whispering sound to fill her head. Sometimes it is overpowering enough that she can’t hear her own thoughts. Add this to the fact that the town’s group of crazy Christian’s is harassing her and the fact that she is struggling to make ends meet and I’d say she has a rather stressful life. After finally deciding she has had enough, she casts a wiccan spell to try to remove the whispering and it only makes it worse. Then her friend Ivory drags her to a club where she meets a strange, very attractive man (named Charles) and then gets chased through woods and attacked (though not by said hot guy). She passes out during the attack and when she awakes, she is thrusted into a world where vampires, shifters, and all manner of supernatural beings exist.

Speaking of the supernatural beings, I loved the lore behind them. I loved the fact that she doesn’t use the term vampire or shifter or were-animal, instead being more creative and creating new terms for them. I won’t try to explain them because I know I’ll just fuck it up, but I really enjoyed that. I also loved that Sophia’s relationship with Charles progresses over a period of time. It’s not that instalove that is so present in writing today. You see them struggle with their attraction to each other and then start dating and then say the L word, in a completely realistic time frame. This novel also had a twist that I didn’t see coming at all. I won’t tell you what it is because I am striving to stay spoiler-free (in this review at least) but I was really shocked.

The only complaint I have is the gaps in time. There are a few times where the novel just skips a month and while I know that if I want my main characters relationship to grow over a period of time, I cannot expect to hear about every moment of it, but I felt like the missing months could have used just a bit more description.
All in all, if you love paranormal romance, this is for you. I really enjoyed it and cannot wait to read the next one!

****Thank you to Rebecca Hamilton for providing me with a digital copy in exchange for an honest review****
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Girl.

02/26/2012
13.0% "Thus far, I really like this book. It is very different than the novels I have been reading."
02/26/2012
14.0% "Oooo...Nice tension.....man this novel makes me wanna read a trashy romance novel. My hopes keep getting higher and higher. I hope this doesn't disappoint me."
02/26/2012
32.0% "Alrighty there Charles, being incredibly hot doesn't give you the right to act all hot and cold. Come on man, be better than Edward Cullen, please!"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kandice (new) - added it

Kandice Dover sooo I like how you wave at Rebecca. :) it made me happy. And I like how she sent the ebook to you.

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) Yeah, I assumed part of the reason she was giving away copies was to get reviews therefore she would read it (which she did), therefore it was only polite to wave.

It is actually thanks to Lauren. She found this website where you could request a copy of her ebook for a friend and she did for me. :) It made me happy. Yay for free book. It is really good though, I think you'd like it.

message 3: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Goff Tabitha wrote: "Yeah, I assumed part of the reason she was giving away copies was to get reviews therefore she would read it (which she did), therefore it was only polite to wave.

It is actually thanks to Laure..."

Of course I did it for you! :D I always try to find you cheap e-books to feed Luna! And I like to make people read books by authors I talk to on Twitter and books that I think are going to be interesting XD

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) Lauren wrote: "Tabitha wrote: "Yeah, I assumed part of the reason she was giving away copies was to get reviews therefore she would read it (which she did), therefore it was only polite to wave.

It is actually t..."

Feed Luna he he :)

I know! I appreciate it! I really loved this one. LOVE LOVE LOVE <3<3<3

message 5: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Goff Tabitha wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Tabitha wrote: "Yeah, I assumed part of the reason she was giving away copies was to get reviews therefore she would read it (which she did), therefore it was only polite to wave.

..."

Yay! I need to read it! She sent me a copy, too, when she sent yours :) She is awesome.