Chris's Reviews > In Enemy Hands

In Enemy Hands by David Weber

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: cats-fiction, sci-fi-space-opera
Read from February 17 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed the second half of this book far more than the first. For the first 40 pages or so, the reader is treated not only to a recap of the rest of the series (understandable, most serieses do this), but also example after example of how "special" Honor, how everyones loves, how she is the most unique and amazing person every. If one person isn't thinking it, another and the reader gets both people's thoughts more than once.

Gag me with a spoon. Honestly, I would be saying this even if Honor was a male. One of the good things about Harry Potter was the fact that Rowling didn't make him the best at everything. Honor is the best at everything! She's great! (Question, would she be that great if Weber hadn't made her with strength, special treecat abilities and genetic enhancements?). If you don't like, you're a bad guy who meets a messy end.

However, once the book gets into space, it gets much better. Honor's imprisonment and escape are well done, and while there is a bit too much political lecturing (and one wonders why Honor couldn't make a mistake, why her capture has to be the fault of another officier), the action more than makes up for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Enemy Hands.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Bettie☯ (new)

☯Bettie☯ is this tbr busting material? - I have quite a few of this series on audio too that fits Mt Everest

Chris For me it is. Some of the books are okay, some are good. If you liked Horatio Hornblower, you might like it.

message 3: by ☯Bettie☯ (new)

☯Bettie☯ Thanks Chris - maybe later rather than sooner then