Sam Quixote's Reviews > Prison Pit, Vol. 1

Prison Pit, Vol. 1 by Johnny Ryan

Feb 17, 12

Read in February, 2012

A monstrous humanoid psychopath is thrown into pit, which seems to be a world unto itself, presumably (going only on the title) because he is being punished for something. Then the book takes off with the psychopath fighting and killing everything and getting mutilated along the way.

This is a really funny book based on the gratuitous and excessive violence throughout. It's not really a story and there's no real plot or structure, it's just literally gory fight scenes between the psycho and all manner of strange beasts. The way he kills them is so over the top violent that it's funny as hell and had me laughing all the way through.

Because it's mostly fight scenes there's very little dialogue so who the psycho is, what he did to get in the pit, anything about the world, is mostly a mystery and the comic is mostly silent, but the artwork matches the unpretentious tone perfectly and the book works purely on Johnny Ryan's strong art direction.

The book is over all too soon for my liking but I enjoyed the nonsense so much I'm going to have to go back for Books 2 and 3. So if you like disgusting worms that secrete drugs or jizz monsters and plenty of vicious cartoon violence without the cumbersome weight of characterisation/plot/dialogue, this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prison Pit, Vol. 1.