Sofia's Reviews > Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda

Media Control by Noam Chomsky

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from February 26 to March 01, 2012

I'm familiar with Noam Chomsky's ideas, from references and such, but I hadn't actually read any of his books. Not knowing where to start, I chose this one purely for convenience. Even though the writing could be better - there were lots of repetitions and the writing in general didn't feel properly edited - there's no denying that the ideas he presents are powerful. And very, very important.

And yes, I know that a lot of people accuse him of being a conspiracy theorist. Nowadays, anyone who event attempts to see the big picture, make connections and draw conclusions is promptly dismissed as a conspiracy theorist, just like anyone who criticizes the banking system is a communist, and anyone who criticizes politicians is an anarchist (/end sarcasm). The real danger lies in not caring or thinking about anything other that what you're supposed to, or being told to think. Then you become easier to control.

And make no mistake, we are all being controlled in one way or another.

The first part of this book was written in 1991. The second part is a talk given in 2002. It's sad, though unsurprising, to see that nothing has changed in 30 years.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Media Control.

Quotes Sofia Liked

Noam Chomsky
“Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.”
Noam Chomsky, Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda