Jessika's Reviews > The Last Battle

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

Oct 07, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, children-s-books, fiction, series, favorites, fantasy, library
Read in July, 2008 , read count: 1

This book started out with adventure right from the beginning. I loved the whole Shift/Rishda/Tashlan thing that went on. It was so frustrating, but not in a bad way...frustrating in the sense that you just wanted to shake the Narnians that were falling for this because you knew what was actually going on. I didn't really King Tirian as much as I liked some of the other Narnian kings. He seemed a little cold and I didn't like how he was always trying to make the children feel like children in the sense that they shouldn't be fighting alongside with the rest of them for the sake of Narnia. However...the ending...blew me away. What amazing imagery! And I love love LOVED how all of the favorite characters of the previous books came back. It made me so sad that I was reaching the end of this wonderful series. I kinda saw the ending coming, as far as the last paragraph or so went, but that, by no means, took away the surprise that I felt actually finding out that I was right.

This book, out of all of them, however, felt less like a children's book to me. I mean, I suppose I can see how this is still a children's book, but this book is also incredibly dark and deep...maybe too much so for a child to fully understand what C.S. Lewis was trying to get across. It was a little rough for me to hear about Susan's fate, although there were clues leading up to it throughout all of the books.

Once again...this book was brimming with Christian metaphors and allegory. I could type pages and pages about everything that I found in this book. Although it all remained fairly obvious, this book can still be read as a simple story.

Overall, I loved it...and I am so glad that this series ended the way that it did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Battle.

message 1: by Ayu (new) - added it

Ayu Palar This is the only book from The Chronicles of Narnia that I haven't read. Will read it soon!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Lol, see I loved Tirian but didn't like Rilian. Loved this review!

Jessika Thanks, Amelia! :) It's been such a long time since I've read this series. I've actually been thinking about revisiting it again sometime soon.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist I was just thinking about writing reviews for some of these...but I'd ramble too much on this one. I'm glad you liked this book - HIGH FIVE

Jessika I love rambling reviews! It makes me happy when reviewers pore their heart and souls into reviews! HIGH FIVE right back atcha, sister!