Sarah's Reviews > Book of Shadows

Book of Shadows by Phyllis Curott

Feb 17, 2012

did not like it
Read in February, 2012

I was expecting to like this book based on many good reviews and recommendations. It was an easy read, and somewhat entertaining despite that it read like a chick flick movie script full of cliche situations.
From the beginning I had guessed that near the end she would declare some greatness via reincarnation. She kept talking about Isis and ancient priestesses. Everything came to her in a psychic premonition. She dreamed up everything before formally studying or learning about it. She was always reluctant to practice witchcraft with her group and even before being initiated was wondering if they were really Satanists. What I am getting at is, she (or her very much invented character based on herself) never took initiative to learn basic things for herself from books or ask simple questions early on in her practice. Many of the situations she got stuck in were eye roll worthy. The leaders of her group casts love and prosperity spells especially for her, despite her being a successful, wealthy businesswoman.(Probably the most successful in her group.) She even breaks down in tears after being fired/quitting her job under her evil-ex-boyfriend-who-is-always-lusting-after-her boss, wondering how she will keep food on the table. We have to believe she was chosen out of 70 some odd women to practice with them despite her reluctance and mistrust of witchcraft.
Then in her initiation to the coven, she quickly chooses the name Aradia (you know because books fall off the shelf for her all the time and it always means something). The crone nods at her and says, "We've been waiting for you." and I couldn't stop laughing. I guess she gets away with it, because she didn't directly state it, but she is implying that she is Aradia (One cannot deny the build-up of her being someone special, destined for greatness). I really thought this book was phony and I think those are pretty good reasons why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of Shadows.

05/23/2016 marked as: read