Gene's Reviews > The Power Behind the Throne

M 50x66
Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: stargate
Read from March 20 to 26, 2012

Ugh. Okay, I'll start with he good - Good concept, and was definitely interesting to see SG1 brought so low. The world the traveled to had a great deal of potential for an interesting story.

The Bad. I thought that the Author's writing style was horrible. He was constantly comparing one thing to something else, and in great detail;

"The emergency lighting painted a chiaroscuro of grays the length of the corridor with darkness waiting down at the bottom of the door into the gate room. The metal stanchions bracing the tunnel stood out stark and black like the ribs of some great beast. A natural extension of that analogy would make the gate room the beating heart and the wailing siren the first seizures of a heart attack.

Or my favorite:

"He hit the edge of the door frame and sprawled whorishly in the center of the doorway as the blazing light sizzled it's way up over the muscles of his chest before fastening on his face"

That last line used to describe how Teal'c was knocked to the ground. 'whorishly'? Really?? Now I went and looked the word up to see if there is another definition that would fit the situation, and there was not.

And the book didn't really end. The final battle against the evil overlord was brief and lacked any sort of climax. And in the end, the bad guy(s) got away.

I gave it two stars because it did have some interesting concepts, but the author just didn't pull it all together well.

(view spoiler)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power Behind the Throne.

03/21/2012 page 57