Katherine Coble's Reviews > The Curse of Chalion

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

Feb 26, 2012

Recommended for: Fans of GRRM, Patrick Rothfuss, Bernard Cornwell, Historical Fiction, Metaphysics
Read from February 16 to 26, 2012 , read count: 2

After a deceptively slow start, the book picked up. A lot. Around the 25% mark it went from leisurely to wildfire.

Now that all is said and done, I absolutely love this book. No holds barred, hands down, pick another cliche. It's a wonderful book that uses Fantasy to re-examine Earth History (in this case, the story of Ferdinand & Isabella) and also ponder the Mystery. There's enough world history and metaphysics hiding beneath the folds of this story to make it three-meals'-worth of delectable reading.

That being said, if you are looking for Fantasy along the lines of The Wheel of Time or The Warded Man or something else chock-full of battle scenes and wizard duels...you'd be better off to look someplace else. This is a patient, bide-your-time sort of book and most of the action comes from character development. Granted, these are some of the best characters I've encountered in awhile. Cazaril is getting tacked onto the list under Charles Butler and Tyrion Lannister. So I had fun with it. Just know going in that your enjoyment of the story will be largely based on what you expect from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse of Chalion.

Quotes Katherine Liked

Lois McMaster Bujold
“So you’re saying that I could die at any moment!” “Yes. And this is different from your life yesterday in what way?”
Lois McMaster Bujold, The Curse of Chalion

Lois McMaster Bujold
“The gods do not grant miracles for our purposes, but for theirs. If you are become their tool, it is for a greater reason, an urgent reason. But you are the tool. You are not the work.”
Lois McMaster Bujold, The Curse of Chalion

02/18/2012
21.0% "So far it's been fun but slow-going. Rumour has it the action will pick up a bit."