Owen's Reviews > Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence, A True Story in Black and White

Fist Stick Knife Gun by Geoffrey Canada

M_50x66
A very interesting and informative look into the life of a child who grew up in The Bronx during the 1950s and 1960s. The author gives us a picture of what it was like to be a boy living in the ghetto, and the ways that boys adapted to an environment of intense violence.[return][return]Beyond all of this it's an entertaining read, depressing as it might be at times. The illustrations are rather good, and lend the story another level of depth. Kudos to whoever recognized this story would benefit from such a conversion.[return][return]I have only a couple complaints. First, that the author didn't really talk about what life was like for GIRLS in the ghetto. Although I realize the author himself was a boy with no sisters, I think he'd still have some insight into the sort of violence girls experienced during his childhood. Second, I wish the book was longer, or did a better job explaining how he escaped the culture of violence and became the man he is today.[return][return]But on the whole, this is a great work, and highly recommended for anyone trying to make sense of life in the ghetto or understand the history of gang violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fist Stick Knife Gun.