Colleenish's Reviews > Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters from Marketers' Schemes

Packaging Girlhood by Sharon Lamb

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: for-fun, non-fiction, women-s-issues
Read from February 16 to 22, 2012

This very thorough book points out the continual stereotyping of girls in all kinds of media and life. We are guilty of exposing girls to narrow perceptions of who they can be, perceptions that are often hypocritical.

My problem with the book is while the authors said that they realized that girls could be stereotypical in some ways, I am not sure I believed them. They spend to much space exposing the dangers of pink, housework, babysitting, and even art as stereotypes. As a result, the few sentences that lend some credibility and acceptance to those of us who have traditional passions seem phony.

I think that the book models a complicated way of talking to kids about stereotypes that could be very useful. I like that they go beyond telling parents to forbid things or telling parents to know all about them. Modelling and defending values through conversation is a great way to teach. I know that my parents do sometimes talk that way, and it feels invasive and drives me crazy. But as a child, it was healthy for me and shaped how I think.

I wish that this book had incorporated more talk about values and religion, because, personally, my three biggest filters for media are values from my family, values from my religion, and respect for myself and other women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Packaging Girlhood.