Denis's Reviews > Metaphors We Live By

Metaphors We Live By by George Lakoff

Jul 21, 08

bookshelves: read-for-class, language, grad-school-masters, philosophy, non-fiction
Read in February, 2008

My expectation was that a work that does such a good job of reworking fundamental elements of how we look at the world would have as its ultimate goal some sort of radical intellectual or societal revolution, so I kept waiting for L & J to present some conclusion that would cause me to rebel against the whole system that they so convincingly presented, but that never happened.

The fact that they tear down the edifice of literal, objective knowledge without erecting something in its place left me initially uncertain how to react to the book. There's nothing to unite behind nor to rally against, which makes it hard to truly accept that there is no objective truth, a concept that I still find myself clinging to no matter how many excellent arguments against it I read.

Ultimately I came to appreciate the fact that the goal is not to attempt to find a perfect system (which doesn't exist), but rather to make sure that we are able to think clearly about the imperfect system that we use.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Metaphors We Live By.