Stephanie Western's Reviews > The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

The Book of Mormon Girl by Joanna Brooks

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012, memoir-biography
Read in February, 2012

Man, I just really like Joanna Brooks. Her articles on Ask Mormon Girl are well-researched and interesting, and in interviews she seems articulate, kind, and down-to-earth. So I was excited to read her memoir about her journey to becoming an "unorthodox Mormon." (Cuz, as it turns out, that's a thing you can actually be now!)

When she describes her childhood and adolescence as a devout Mormon, I kept thinking, "Oh my gosh that's EXACTLY how I felt too!" She's a great writer, and I think that even people who have never had the struggles or questions she has would still be able to connect with her.

I really admire the way she has worked out how to hold on to the faith and community that are valuable to her while acknowledging that there are policies and practices she finds troubling.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Mormon Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Neal Reading this now and, enh, I guess maybe I wasn't very thoughtful as a child cause I just didn't feel like this at all growing up in the church. I'm only halfway through but I just feel like so many of her descriptions of familiar customs are laced with snark and disdain. I know she has all these conflicted feelings and I'm looking forward to the rest of the book but I guess because I never felt all snarky towards the church at those ages, I almost feel a little like when someone makes fun of the church to my face. I kind of always feel this way when I read Mormon feminist writings, almost like maybe I'm not very smart that I didn't have all these conflicted feelings beforehand. I always maintain that it helps that I never had even one crazy YM leader and was never subjected to the rose/donut/cupcake/nailed board object lessons. :)

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Neal Okay, in reading lots of reviews here, I'm not alone I being unsure when she's just being poking gentle fun and when she's being openly sarcastic and mean. At least I'm not the only one. That's something!

message 3: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Neal All right, I finished and I have to say, I enjoyed the 2nd half a lot more. In particular, the last two chapters resonated with me. Maybe I should have read those first! :) Thanks for letting me ramble on your review!

Stephanie Western Amy wrote: "Reading this now and, enh, I guess maybe I wasn't very thoughtful as a child cause I just didn't feel like this at all growing up in the church. I'm only halfway through but I just feel like so man..."

When I said I identified with the childhood/adolescence, i meant before she got snarky. Like the Rosebowl stuff and all that. Maybe part of that was because I was living in places, like she was, where the LDS kids felt like the "special minority," perhaps. The snark didn't happen for me until later!