E's Reviews > Waterfall

Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Apr 30, 12

Read in January, 2012

Also Found On: A Book and A Record

I love time travel books. Really really love them. Basically, I think that time travel is the coolest thing ever. And Lisa T. Bergen does an excellent job with these time travel books. Waterfall is one of those books that is just fun. Time travel books are hard, because the actual act of time traveling can either be over or under explained. Some become too science-fiction-y and then they are boring, whereas others are more of a dream-like state. I loved that this book (series) made time travel seem real and simple. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.
Onto the good stuff: Gabi and Marcello have that smoldering look, forbidden love about them. It’s awesome, but kind of predictable. Gabi and Lia is the relationship that I liked best. Coming from a family with a lot of sisters I feel that sometimes authors have a hard time getting the sister dynamic right. They either love each other or hate each other, but with Gabi and Lia you get a deep sense of affection, and you feel that they would go through anything for the other.
There are so many colorful characters in this and the rest of the River of Time series, and they read really quickly. If you’re a guy there is a lot of hand to hand combat and action sequences (old school action sequences with medieval weaponry) and you can skim the lovey dovey stuff, and if you’re a girl there is a lot of lovey dovey and you can skim the action sequences. Bergen sticks close to the time period, and puts her characters through a lot of things that are appropriate and accurate which I also admired. 1350’s Italy was not the gorgeous lovely place that the world today imagines it to be and Bergen addresses that in a really subtle way. I definitely recommend if your looking for a fun, time travel read that has just about everything in it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waterfall.