Bethany's Reviews > The Russian Concubine

The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall

Feb 16, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book engaged me the entire time! I wash nearly 4/5 of the way through before I was actually able to start making some predictions, which is pretty incredible since I tend to hypothesize plots too quickly. I suppose that's what you get when you're an English major. But not The Russian Concubine. I kept trying to predict, but my brain just came up with blank!

And it was completely engrossing! I haven't gasped aloud like this since high school! And certainly not several times! And the plot twists -even the minor ones- just kept coming! Even with less than ten pages from the end Furnivall is still throwing in surprises.

I suppose the only real question I have at the end of it is: who is the Russian Concubine: Valentina or Lydia?

I bought and read the prequel to The Russian Concubine, The Jewel of St. Petersburg, which is focused on Lydia's mother, Valentana (wow, that's a lot of appositives!), last year. Come to find out, Furnivall wrote The Russian Concubine and its sequel before The Jewel of St. Petersburg. I knew they were connected, but not written such. Now, I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Russian Concubine.