Kim's Reviews > Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero

Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson

2221985
Feb 16, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Good book, not great writing or literature, but a good story and quick read. "Thunder Dog" gave me insight into the world of a blind man and his guide dog, Roselle, who got him off of floor 78 in tower one of the WTC on 9/11. Reading about 9/11, even 10 years later, still makes me a bit melancholy as I think about those who lost their lives, especially the firefighters and other rescue workers.

I enjoyed learning about the author's life and relationships with his dogs. Here's my favorite quote:

"If there is just one message about blindness that I could share with sighted people, it would be this: It's okay to be blind. It won't ruin your life or drain away all joy and satisfaction. It won't strangle your creativity or lower your intelligence. It won't keep you from traveling and experiencing life in other places. It won't separate you from friends and family. It won't keep you from falling in love, getting married, and having a family of your own. It won't prevent you from getting a job and making a living. Blindness doesn't mean the end of the world...There is more to life than eye function."

Recommended reading for upper middle/high school kids and adults interested in guide dogs and/or relationships between humans and their dogs. Highly recommended for parents of blind children, especially infants. It will give you hope and ideas as you raise your child.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunder Dog.