Sabrina Benulis's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

May 30, 2014

Read from May 23 to 29, 2014

It's so rare anymore for me to find a book that engrosses me so much, I could lose days just reading it. Unwind certainly fit that bill.
This is a YA dystopian novel written a few years before The Hungers Games arrived on the scene, and its originality is ingenious. The concept revolves around a future where a dispute in America between pro-life and pro-choice advocates called the Heartland Wars erupts. However, there is no winner and a compromise to satisfy both parties must be made. That compromise centers around the process of 'unwinding.' Abortion has become illegal, but once a troublesome/unwanted child reaches adolescence they can be signed over by their parents or guardians to be unwound--meaning that all of their body parts are processed and priced for transplant. Unwind follows the story of three teens--Connor, Risa, and Lev--as they struggle with survival as marked unwinds, the moral ramifications of their lives, and the horrific future they are escaping from.
This is a novel that sticks with you for days and makes you really think. Unwinding is not something that could be accomplished in the real world with our current technology, but that's what makes this novel so disturbing and fascinating. It's a scenario you could actually imagine taking place given the right circumstances. The characters in this novel really suck you in, the plot never lags, and THAT SCENE towards the end will haunt you.
What does it mean to be unwound? What does the process entail? Can a human being still exist in a divided state?
This book dares you to read and find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.

05/23/2014 marked as: currently-reading