Cathy's Reviews > Hazard

Hazard by Jo Beverley

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: 2011, library-rentals, fiction-adult
Read in June, 2011

The jilted girl mentioned all throughout The Dragon's Bride and a previous book I didn't read finally gets her own book, and she's good and pissed off and not going to be jilted anymore! (You go, girl! It's about time!) She's always been polite, demure, and self-conscious due to a physical disability, but now she's bound and determined to take London by storm and get married before the season ends. (Er... okay, yeah, that's pretty typical for the time period and social class, but it wouldn't be my first choice.)

And who should teach her about men and romance but the secretary from The Dragon's Bride? Yay, secretary! What a courteous teacher of seduction! He's completely unsuitable for a wealthy noblewoman though, so the heroine gets to try out kissing some other men as well (with no intimations that she's loose or amoral! a romance novel rarity!) as she sets herself to dazzling practically every man she comes into contact with, but her own foolishness and haste (with the addition of a bonus fake French highwayman) throw them back together. The French highwayman bit was just completely ridiculous and over-the-top jumping-the-shark, but I guess we had to get a resolution somehow! I'm also rather hoping he has his own book too.

I thought this was fun, and I was really glad to see the heroine finally get a husband who genuinely wanted to marry her. It was also quite nice to see a woman with a physical disability still be regarded as a desirable, sexual being.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hazard.