Shiloh (Fantastic Reading)'s Reviews > Tiger Eye

Tiger Eye by Marjorie M. Liu

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from February 16 to 19, 2012

This was a Nook Free Fridays offering.

During a visit to China, Dela finds herself in possession of a mysterious puzzle box, which turns out to hold a shape-shifting warrior. Hari expects her to be like every other master he's ever had--greedy, selfish, lustful, and destructive. They soon forge a tight bond, but the Magus who created Hari's curse and prison wants him back and will stop at nothing to get him. At the same time, Dela finds herself entangled in mob intrigue, as one of the weapons she forged is used in the murder of a child and the child's family comes looking for vengeance.

I've mentioned in my reviews before that romance isn't usually my genre, but this one wasn't bad. The plot was a bit dense and disconnected, sagging a bit in the middle of the book, but at least it kept the story from being too one-track-linear.

The only maybe-problem I had was with the almost-bestiality that occurs when Dela and Hari consummate their relationship; he shape-shifts into a tiger, and they spend some time with him either in tiger form or halfway between tiger and man. While he's still a person even in tiger form, the idea of them having sex with him as a tiger bothered me.

Generally, however, this was a nice story with a great cast of characters and a lovely sense of humor that I'm sure leads into a great series of novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Eye.