Jim's Reviews > Agent to the Stars

Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, humor, kindle-books, fantasy, favorites
Recommended to Jim by: Kaethe
Read from February 16 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

Simply put, it's brilliant.

I agree in every detail with the comments about this book in the wonderful review by Kaethe that put me onto it. Her review provides a series of very good reasons to read the book, without spoiling the fascinating and intricate story that lies within. As I discovered, it provides a second set of points that will make much more sense after you read the book.

The dialogue in this book is among the funniest I have ever read. It is hugely successful as a satire of major players in Hollywood filmmaking, and I would have loved it for that element alone. But Scalzi’s talent is such that he can develop very heavy/consequential themes, with characters that seem at first to be very superficial. He does this with a science fictional framework that is woven, very convincingly, into real-life settings, and makes you laugh so hard that your ribs ache while you are taking it all in.

It works beautifully. And, speaking for myself, the rib pain was worth it. (Check with your doctor first before trying this at home)

Some reviewers have noted a few issues with continuity in topical references that were updated in this edition. I noticed some of that, but it didn’t bother me.

Very highly recommended.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agent to the Stars.

02/20/2012
35.0% "This book is awesome! I had to stop laughing before I could type that..."
02/22/2012
86.0% "This is outstanding on many levels. Five stars, here we come.." 11 comments

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Thanks, David! If you are interested in Scalzi, he has an interesting website/blog called Whatever. "Taunting the tauntable since 1998".

message 2: by Will (new) - added it

Will Byrnes I have this around the house somewhere. Sounds like fun.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I strongly recommend it, Will! It has a marvelous mixture of cynicism and big-picture perspective. I plan to read more of his books in due course.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars