Mel's Reviews > The Art of the Commonplace: The Agrarian Essays of Wendell Berry

The Art of the Commonplace by Wendell Berry

Jul 06, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: library
Read in August, 2007

I had already read several of these essays in The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture, but they were worth reading again.

A Native Hill
A meditative history (both personal and cultural) of a hill in Kentucky. There are some lovely, lyrical passages in this work, which is really more creative non-fiction than persuasive essay.

The Unsettling of America
A discussion of the differences between exploiters and nurturers, and how America's economy favors exploiters.

Racism and the Economy
A look at how American economy dispossesses and exploits whites and blacks alike.

Feminism, the Body, and the Machine
I admit that I half agree with Berry's reasons for not writing on a computer. There is an agreeable permanence to writing drafts out longhand, and I do find it easier (mentally) to write that way. Unfortunately, physically, I can't do it for more than a few minutes without my hand and wrist cramping up.

Think Little
An essay on the importance of local solutions to local problems.

I didn't actually finish all of the essays before the book needed to go back to the library. They were interesting, but not fascinating, so many other books caught my interest instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of the Commonplace.