Niccola's Reviews > Tempt Me at Twilight

Tempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: favorites

Harry Rutledge is among the TOP male lead characters I've ever read, and really there's only three in the top spot so he's very dear to me! One review I read before starting this story was that Harry reminded the reader of Richard Armitage. That pretty much stuck in my head like taffy to my teeth. Of course, imagining such a handsome British actor as you read may skew one's judgement, but as long as you enjoy yourself, who cares? Regardless of who you picture playing the role, the characterization of Harry is excellent. He's vindictive, seductive, brilliant in science, engineering, politics, business, and human behavior. Basically, everything and a bag of chips. But playing the game masterfully doesn't necessarily mean you'll win if your opponent doesn't play the game with you.

Enter Poppy, the only Hathaway that hasn't been given a disc tint personality. I love the Hathaway clan, Cam and Kev included, of course. Amelia has been portrayed as the nurturing, strong-willed sister who takes on the motherly role for her younger sisters. Win is the beautiful, angelic, delicate sister who harbors a bold personality and a deep passion for Kev which motivates her struggles to recover. Leo is the funny as hell rake with an underlying tenderness and far-reaching adoration for his sisters. And Beatrix is the straightforward, nature loving outspoken baby of the family. Poppy is often lumped in with Beatrix as being witty, 'unrefined', blunt sister closest in age to each other. But she hasn't really been given a unique attribute except for her desire to fit in amongst London's upper class society. Even then, we aren't told whether her desire is based on actually wanting to be a member of the ton, or simply as a way to avoid embarrassment when partaking during the London season.

The book not only explores Poppy as an individual- not simply an older and slightly less outgoing version of Beatrix, but paints a detailed portrait of her mannerisms, hopes and dreams, thoughts of her family and her future, and what makes her stand out to man like Harry when there's endless options for him. For being a rather looked-over character in the last two novels, I was pleasantly surprised at how distinctive she was reveled to be.

I loved this book for those two reasons: 1. Harry was the best hero turned bad guy, then turned hero again, then back to bad guy for a bit, then back and forth between the two depending on what the situation was... but always keeping the reader attached by strings. and 2. Poppy turned out to be distinct from her sisters with not only her personality but with her situation and the choices she made and her reasoning.

So far, this is my favorite Hathaway novel- and so far I love them all so that says a lot!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempt Me at Twilight.

Quotes Niccola Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“In the fairy tale you mentioned last night, I would probably be the villain. But it's possible the villain would treat you far better than the prince would have.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I don’t want to be a widow, I don’t want Michael Bayning, and I don’t want you to joke about such things, you tactless clodpole!”

As all three of them stared at her openmouthed, Poppy leapt up and stalked away, her hands drawn into fists.

Bewildered by the immediate force of her fury—it was like being stung by a butterfly—Harry stared after her dumbly. After a moment, he asked the first coherent thought that came to him. “Did she just say she doesn’t want Bayning?”

“Yes,” Win said, a smile hovering on her lips. “That’s what she said. Go after her, Harry.”

Every cell in Harry’s body longed to comply. Except that he had the feeling of standing on the edge of a cliff, with one ill-chosen word likely to send him over. He gave Poppy’s sister a desperate glance. “What should I say?”

“Be honest with her about your feelings,” Win suggested.

A frown settled on Harry’s face as he considered that. “What’s my second option?”

Lisa Kleypas
“She was yours, if you'd truly wanted her," Harry continued, a pitiless smile touching his lips. "But I wanted her more.”

Lisa Kleypas
“It might do wonders for your marriage,” Amelia continued. “It’s lovely to talk to your husband after you’ve been to bed together. They just lie there feeling grateful and say yes to everything.” - Amelia to Poppy”

Lisa Kleypas
“Would you say that you're a good man, Harry?"

He had to think about that. "No," he finally said. "In the fairy tale you mentioned last night, I would probably be the villain. But it's possible the villain would probably treat you far better than the prince would have.”

Lisa Kleypas
“It was unfair that people who longed for love the most, searched the hardest for it, found it so elusive.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I don't think Harry cares about being forgiven," Poppy said glumly.
"Of course he does. Men love to be forgiven. It makes us feel better about our inability to learn from our mistakes.”
tags: humor, men