Lea's Reviews > Happy Horsemanship

Happy Horsemanship by Dorothy Henderson Pinch

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: acquired-2012, books-i-own, kids, favorites, reviews, read-2012
Read from February 16 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Without a doubt, one of the best -- possibly THE best -- book on horsemanship. Period.

There are so many things I love about this book -- written in 1966 (and surprisingly not dated after all these years), the author's tone is playful yet cultured. This was before we, as a nation, all began speaking as children. The language in this book is a joy to read, and the author illustrates the various subjects with charming line drawings.

I've ridden for many years, so I'm familiar with most of the information in this book -- I've heard of "collection" and "flexing", and yet it has never been explained to me IN DETAIL exactly what these terms mean in a very specific way, or why it is important to understand these concepts and how they relate to riding. I can honestly say that I've learned more about the technical aspects of riding by reading this book than I've learned in 43 years of hands on experience.

Even if you think you know everything there is to know about horses, you just might find something new within these pages, or just clarify a few aspects you might have been fuzzy on. Yes, this is BASIC information, but if you don't have the basics down, you will never be a truly accomplished rider.

HIGHLY recommend for all, young and old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Horsemanship.