Chrissy Olinger's Reviews > My Wicked Little Lies

My Wicked Little Lies by Victoria Alexander

Feb 16, 12

Read in February, 2012

I had to hover over the two and three star slots for a few minutes before I could decide. Ultimately, I expect more from a writer like Victoria Alexander. I decided on two.

This book had a cute premise-- a former spy, who is now retired and happily married, is re-enlisted to help find a missing file. Contained in the file are the super secret names of the heads of her spy agency. She must lie to her husband of two years, for whom she left the exciting life of espionage behind.

"Sir," the former head and her former mentor, was a shadowy figure she fell for in a distant, unrequited way. His letters to her painted a fantasy in her mind, but upon meeting her husband, all was forgotten. She loves him for his staid, predictable, solid strength.

Right... you see it coming, too? Exactly.

EVERY point of tension and conflict is forced, silly, and transparent. The "big reveal" is obvious from page one. It's actually a shame, since the premise is cute. But Alexander not only makes both her lead characters too dim-witted to pull off their alleged pasts as "spies." She draws them with a lack of depth and shading. The secondary couple is more interesting. I found myself far more curious about their story.

Could have been a wonderful change-- two married, somewhat older people with rich backgrounds, rediscovering excitement and love. It wasn't. Bummer.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Wicked Little Lies.